Has ‘Back to School’ come as a bit of a shock? Here are my top ten signs that the lovely long Summer holiday is over and that the new school year has started. How many have happened to you?
- You breathe out a sigh of relief that the waistband of your work clothes still fits – and a button pops off.
- When you finally find your lanyard again you realise that the age gap between your staff ID photo and reality is now pushing the bounds of credulity.
- As a result of the ‘Summer IT Upgrade‘ your computer crashes when you try to log in (after finally remembering what your password was).
- When you do succeed in logging in, you find there are now 247 emails in your inbox.
- During the start of term INSET day you find that at least a dozen new educational acronyms (NEAs) have been invented since the end of last term.
- On the first day that the pupils return someone asks ‘Sir?’ / ‘Miss?’ And for a moment you wonder who they’re talking to.
- The bells, the bells! Your life becomes Pavlovian again.
- You scald yourself with your coffee, no longer having the luxury of time to let it cool down.
- You spend the latter half of the morning with your legs crossed because you can no longer just pop to the loo when you need to.
- After your first busy day, you realise with a sigh that you have to get up at THAT TIME again tomorrow… and tomorrow…
So, how many did you score out of ten at the start of this term?! Anything I missed? What would you put in your top ten?
Remember, though, what we do makes a real difference to the children we teach. And just think: some people have jobs where they actually have time to be bored!
If things are getting a bit much, you might want to have a look at my post on Workable Wellbeing.